Ginger exporter, Organic Mountain Flavor
Organic Mountain Flavour (OMF) is a private limited company that buys and sells organic raw ginger and exports dried ginger slices to India and Europe. CONNECT has committed to co-invest with OMF to expand its organic ginger processing facilities in Chinchu and Sahajpur by strengthening down stream supply chains in CONNECT's core districts and the Mid and Far West region more broadly.
Thousands of ginger farmers in west Nepal have an opportunity to jump from subsistence to commercial agriculture. They just need a reliable market system that includes steady demand and better prices. Bajura and Doti have potential for high value crops, including ginger cultivation but farming communities have limited access to information on the commercial potential of organic ginger production.
CONNECT brings together players that can form this market. We have connected OMF with hundreds of ginger farmers, so they get a steady supply, and the farmers get steady demand.
Milestones achieved during F.Y. 2016 - 2017 include:
- Total quantity traded has grown by 65% year-on-year and revenues increased by 30%
- Second processing facility established in Sahajpur, Kailali
- Exisiting buyer relationships are scaling and new markets discovered
- OMF is in the final stages of organic certification from ECOCERT of 1050 ha farmer by 1726 farmers in its downstream supply chain
- New banking relationship developed, larger working capital limits sercured and value chain financing product in place to enable scale up